Will “Medical Coding Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
100 % Chance of Automation
“Medical Coding Technician” will definitely be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #523 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Transcribe medical reports recorded by physicians and other healthcare practitioners using various electronic devices, covering office visits, emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging studies, operations, chart reviews, and final summaries. Transcribe dictated reports and translate abbreviations into fully understandable form. Edit as necessary and return reports in either printed or electronic form for review and signature, or correction.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-9094.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,150.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 54,070 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Medical Transcriptionists”.
Also Known As…
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Radiology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription Supervisor
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Transcriber
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Language Specialist
- Documentation Specialist
- Clinical Medical Transcriptionist
- Transcription Specialist
- Transcription Coordinator
- Transcribing Machine Operator
- Senior Medical Transcriptionist
- Registered Medical Transcriptionist
- Radiology Transcriptionist/Radiology Clerk
- Provider Scribe
- Pathology Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcription-Radiology
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Medical Stenographer
- Medical Record Transcriber
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Data Transcriber
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Medical Transcriptionist
- Certified Medical Coder
- Certified Coding Specialist
Tasks for “Medical Coding Technician”
- Receive and screen telephone calls and visitors.
- Receive patients, schedule appointments, and maintain patient records.
- Produce medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care information, statistics, medical research, and administrative material.
- Perform a variety of clerical and office tasks, such as handling incoming and outgoing mail, completing and submitting insurance claims, typing, filing, and operating office machines.
- Decide which information should be included or excluded in reports.
- Review and edit transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology.
- Answer inquiries concerning the progress of medical cases, within the limits of confidentiality laws.
- Transcribe dictation for a variety of medical reports, such as patient histories, physical examinations, emergency room visits, operations, chart reviews, consultation, or discharge summaries.
- Distinguish between homonyms and recognize inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- Set up and maintain medical files and databases, including records such as x-ray, lab, and procedure reports, medical histories, diagnostic workups, admission and discharge summaries, and clinical resumes.
- Translate medical jargon and abbreviations into their expanded forms to ensure the accuracy of patient and health care facility records.
- Identify mistakes in reports and check with doctors to obtain the correct information.
- Take dictation using shorthand, a stenotype machine, or headsets and transcribing machines.
- Perform data entry and data retrieval services, providing data for inclusion in medical records and for transmission to physicians.
- Return dictated reports in printed or electronic form for physician's review, signature, and corrections and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
Related Technology & Tools
- Transcribing equipment
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Postage meters
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Laser printers
- Desktop transcribers
- Notebook computers
- Microsoft Excel
- Crescendo Systems Corporation MedRite-XL
- SpectraMedi EasyFlow
- Calendar software
- g-net solutions MTP
- Sylvan Software DropChute Pro
- Boston Bar Systems Corporation Sonnet
- dBASE Plus
- Database software
- Sylvan Software ShortCut
- Spreadsheet software
- Spellex AccuCount
- Medical terminology databases
- FileMaker Pro
- Microsoft Word
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Bytescribe Development Company WavPlayer
- Patient billing software
- Electronic medical record EMR systems
- Crescendo Systems DigiScribe-XL
- Microsoft Windows
- Emmaus MPWord
- Sylvan Software Complete Medical Pharmaceutical Spell Checker
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Corel WordPerfect
- Word processing software
- Narratek Smartype
- Data entry software
- Email software
- Allscripts Misys Healthcare Systems
- PCC EHR
- Microsoft Outlook
- SpeedUp Trans
- Precision Data Solutions VoicePower
- Voice recognition software
- MedQuist DocQment Enterprise Platform
- Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical
- Web browser software