Will “Deck Steward” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
0 % Chance of Automation
“Deck Steward” will never be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #592 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Take orders and serve food and beverages to patrons at tables in dining establishment.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 35-3031.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 24,410.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 11.00
- Currently, there are 2,564,610 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Waiters and Waitresses”.
Also Known As…
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Room Service Server
- Restaurant Server
- Food Server
- Food Runner
- Cocktail Server
- Banquet Server
- Wine Steward/Stewardess
- Wine Steward
- Waitstaff Captain
- Waiter and Cashier
- Skating Carhop
- Singing Waiter or Waitress
- Room Service Waiter
- Mess Attendant
- Informal Waiter/Waitress
- Head Banquet Waiter/Waitress
- Formal Waiter/Waitress
- Food Expeditor
- Food and Beverage Server
- Dining Room Captain
- Dining Car Waiter/Waitress
- Dining Car Server
- Cocktail Waitress
- Club Waiter/Waitress
- Cashier and Waiter/Waitress
- Car Hop
- Captain Waiter
- Buffet Waiter/Waitress
- Bar Waiter/Waitress
- Banquet Waiter/Waitress
- Banquet Captain
Tasks for “Deck Steward”
- Fill salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Perform cleaning duties, such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming carpet, tidying up server station, taking out trash, or checking and cleaning bathroom.
- Perform food preparation duties such as preparing salads, appetizers, and cold dishes, portioning desserts, and brewing coffee.
- Assist host or hostess by answering phones to take reservations or to-go orders, and by greeting, seating, and thanking guests.
- Collect payments from customers.
- Clean tables or counters after patrons have finished dining.
- Explain how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Prepare hot, cold, and mixed drinks for patrons, and chill bottles of wine.
- Inform customers of daily specials.
- Write patrons' food orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen staff.
- Serve food or beverages to patrons, and prepare or serve specialty dishes at tables as required.
- Present menus to patrons and answer questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request.
- Prepare tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Stock service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Roll silverware, set up food stations or set up dining areas to prepare for the next shift or for large parties.
- Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- Check patrons' identification to ensure that they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Take orders from patrons for food or beverages.
- Describe and recommend wines to customers.
- Garnish and decorate dishes in preparation for serving.
- Escort customers to their tables.
- Remove dishes and glasses from tables or counters, take them to kitchen for cleaning.
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes.
- Provide guests with information about local areas, including giving directions.
- Bring wine selections to tables with appropriate glasses, and pour the wines for customers.
Related Technology & Tools
- Cash registers
- Portable bar code scanners
- Personal digital assistants PDA
- Credit card processing machines
- Carving knives
- Point of service workstations
- Alphanumeric paging equipment
- Touch screen monitors
- Point of sale POS printers
- Point of sale POS terminals
- Hospitality Control Solutions Aloha Point-of-Sale
- NCR Advanced Checkout Solution
- MICROS Systems HSI Profits Series
- Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Compris Advanced Manager's Workstation
- The General Store
- Compris software
- NCR NeighborhoodPOS
- Point of sale POS software