Will “Hair Cutter” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
80% Chance of Automation
“Hair Cutter” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #439 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, shampooing, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 39-5011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 29,900.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 14.00
- Currently, there are 15,900 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Barbers”.
Also Known As…
- Master Barber
- Barber Shop Operator
- Tonsorial Artist
- Salon Manager
- Hair Stylist
- Barber Stylist
- Barber Instructor
- Barber Apprentice
Tasks for “Hair Cutter”
- Identify hair problems, using microscopes and testing devices, or by sending clients' hair samples out to independent laboratories for analysis.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties such as keeping records, paying bills, and hiring and supervising personnel.
- Provide face, neck, and scalp massages.
- Measure, fit, and groom hairpieces.
- Shampoo hair.
- Apply lather and shave beards or neck and temple hair contours, using razors.
- Question patrons regarding desired services and haircut styles.
- Drape and pin protective cloths around customers' shoulders.
- Order supplies.
- Suggest treatments to alleviate hair problems.
- Clean and sterilize scissors, combs, clippers, and other instruments.
- Curl, color, or straighten hair, using special chemical solutions and equipment.
- Keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit.
- Shape and trim beards and moustaches, using scissors.
- Record services provided on cashiers' tickets or receive payment from customers.
- Cut and trim hair according to clients' instructions or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors.
- Provide skin care and nail treatments.
- Recommend and sell lotions, tonics, or other cosmetic supplies.
- Stay informed of the latest styles and hair care techniques.
- Clean work stations and sweep floors.
Related Technology & Tools
- Barber scissors
- Shaving brushes
- Facial hair trimmers
- Straight-bladed scissors
- Adjustable barber chairs
- Handheld blow dryers
- Hair styling combs
- Whet stones
- Spray bottles
- Pointed tweezers
- Vent brushes
- Rat tail combs
- Straight razors
- Thinning shears
- Protective capes
- Round brushes
- Curling irons
- Desktop computers
- Latherizing machines
- Electric shavers
- Handheld electric hair clippers
- Laptop computers
- Hot air brushes
- Straightening irons
- Point of sale POS payment software
- Customer information databases
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Appointment scheduling software