Will “Postal Service Window Clerk” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Postal Service Window Clerk” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #625 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Perform any combination of tasks in a post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags; and examine mail for correct postage.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5051.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 48,360.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 82,030 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Clerks”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Clerks
- Window/Distribution Clerk
- Window Clerk
- Sales and Service Associate (SSA)
- Sales and Distribution Clerk
- Sales & Service Associate (SSA)
- Postal Clerk
- Part Time Flexible Clerk (PTF Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Bulk Mail Technician
- Unit Technician
- Stamp Clerk
- Special Delivery Clerk
- Postal Support Employee
- Post Office Clerk
- Parcel Post Clerk
- Money Order Clerk
- Mailroom Clerk
- Mailing Clerk
- Mail Order Clerk
- Mail Handler
- Mail Clerk
- Mail Caller
- Mail Agent
- Dock Clerk
- Delivery Clerk
- Counter Clerk
- Business Mail Entry Clerk
- Bulk Mail Clerk
- Bulk Clerk
Tasks for “Postal Service Window Clerk”
- Provide customers with assistance in filing claims for mail theft, or lost or damaged mail.
- Answer questions regarding mail regulations and procedures, postage rates, and post office boxes.
- Order retail items and other supplies for office use.
- Transport mail from one work station to another.
- Cash money orders.
- Keep money drawers in order, and record and balance daily transactions.
- Sort incoming and outgoing mail, according to type and destination, by hand or by operating electronic mail-sorting and scanning devices.
- Provide assistance to the public in complying with federal regulations of Postal Service and other federal agencies.
- Weigh letters and parcels, compute mailing costs based on type, weight, and destination, and affix correct postage.
- Register, certify, and insure letters and parcels.
- Respond to complaints regarding mail theft, delivery problems, and lost or damaged mail, filling out forms and making appropriate referrals for investigation.
- Rent post office boxes to customers.
- Complete forms regarding changes of address, or theft or loss of mail, or for special services such as registered or priority mail.
- Sell and collect payment for products such as stamps, prepaid mail envelopes, and money orders.
- Obtain signatures from recipients of registered or special delivery mail.
- Put undelivered parcels away, retrieve them when customers come to claim them, and complete any related documentation.
- Feed mail into postage canceling devices or hand stamp mail to cancel postage.
- Post announcements or government information on public bulletin boards.
- Set postage meters, and calibrate them to ensure correct operation.
- Check mail to ensure correct postage and that packages and letters are in proper condition for mailing.
- Receive letters and parcels, and place mail into bags.
Related Technology & Tools
- Automated mail processing equipment
- Hand trucks
- Doubles detectors
- Money drawers
- Mail transport carts
- Mail bags
- Stamp cancelers
- Hand stamps
- Barcode scanners
- Point of sale workstations
- Barcode sorters
- Postage meters
- Electronic mail sorting devices
- Security devices
- Bin stackers
- General purpose mail containers
- Packaging tape dispensers
- Sorting machines
- Mail scales
- Warehouse dollies
- Security device removers
- Optical character readers
- Point of sale POS software
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Inventory tracking software
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Delivery operations information system DOIS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Budgeting software
- Microsoft Windows