Will “Garage Door Service Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
91% Chance of Automation
“Garage Door Service Technician” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #547 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Install, service, or repair automatic door mechanisms and hydraulic doors. Includes garage door mechanics.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 49-9011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 40,420.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 19,840 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Mechanical Door Repairers”.
Also Known As…
- Mechanical Door Repairers
- Service Technician
- Residential Door Installer
- Installation Technician
- Garage Door Technician
- Garage Door Installer
- Door Technician
- Door Installer
- Commercial Installer
- Commercial Door Installer
- Residential Door Unit Installer
- Overhead Door Technician
- Mechanical Door Repairer
- Garage Door Opener Installer
- Exterior Door Installer
- Door Serviceman
- Door Repairman
- Door Closer Mechanic
- Automatic Door Mechanic
- Automated Access Systems Technician
Tasks for “Garage Door Service Technician”
- Collect payment upon job completion.
- Fasten angle iron back-hangers to ceilings and tracks, using fasteners or welding equipment.
- Order replacement springs, sections, or slats.
- Set in and secure floor treadles for door activating mechanisms; then connect power packs and electrical panelboards to treadles.
- Set doors into place or stack hardware sections into openings after rail or track installation.
- Inspect job sites, assessing headroom, side room, or other conditions to determine appropriateness of door for a given location.
- Remove or disassemble defective automatic mechanical door closers, using hand tools.
- Repair or replace worn or broken door parts, using hand tools.
- Wind large springs with upward motion of arm.
- Study blueprints and schematic diagrams to determine appropriate methods of installing or repairing automated door openers.
- Adjust doors to open or close with the correct amount of effort or make simple adjustments to electric openers.
- Install door frames, rails, steel rolling curtains, electronic-eye mechanisms, or electric door openers and closers, using power tools, hand tools, and electronic test equipment.
- Lubricate door closer oil chambers and pack spindles with leather washers.
- Carry springs to tops of doors, using ladders or scaffolding, and attach springs to tracks to install spring systems.
- Fabricate replacements for worn or broken parts, using welders, lathes, drill presses, or shaping or milling machines.
- Operate lifts, winches, or chain falls to move heavy curtain doors.
- Cover treadles with carpeting or other floor covering materials and test systems by operating treadles.
- Clean door closer parts, using caustic soda, rotary brushes, or grinding wheels.
- Prepare doors for hardware installation, such as drilling holes to install locks.
- Bore or cut holes in flooring as required for installation, using hand or power tools.
- Assemble and fasten tracks to structures or bucks, using impact wrenches or welding equipment.
- Install dock seals, bumpers, or shelters.
- Cut door stops or angle irons to fit openings.
- Complete required paperwork, such as work orders, according to services performed or required.
- Run low voltage wiring on ceiling surfaces, using insulated staples.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mini hacksaws
- Adjustable hand wrenches
- Bench grinders
- Winding bars
- Cordless drills
- Cleaning scrapers
- Cable pullers
- Handheld power routers
- Cable cutters
- Flat cold chisels
- Cordless sanders
- Socket sets
- Personal computers
- Solder guns
- Digital multimeters
- Hand planers
- Stick welders
- Spirit levels
- Warehouse forklifts
- Convertible hand trucks
- Nibbling tools
- Digital oscilloscopes
- Flat hand files
- Tablet computers
- Vise grip pliers
- Circular saws
- Precision levels
- Cordless jigsaws
- Work vans
- Electric saws
- Cable crimpers
- Multipurpose hammers
- Punch sets
- Material hoists
- Air wrenches
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Wood planes
- Wire strippers
- Work order software
- Route mapping software
- Web browser software