Will “Tool Grinding Machine Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
88% Chance of Automation
“Tool Grinding Machine Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #520 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Perform precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-4194.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 38,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 9,550 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners”.
Also Known As…
- Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Tool Grinder
- Tool and Cutter Grinder
- Saw Filer
- OD Grinder Operator (Outer Diameter Grinder Operator)
- Machine Operator
- Grinder Operator
- Cutter Grinder
- CNC Operator (Computer Numerically Controlled Operator)
- Workcell Operator
- Universal Grinder Set-Up Operator
- Tool Straightener
- Tool Sharpener
- Tool Maintenance Worker
- Tool Grinding Technician
- Tool Grinder Operator
- Tool Dresser
- Thread Grinder
- Saw Straightener
- Sapphire Stylus Grinder
- Precision Honer
- Precision Grinder
- Outer Diameter Technician (OD Technician)
- Outer Diameter Grinder (OD Grinder)
- Internal Grinder Set-Up Operator
- Hand Tool Lapper
- Grinder Operator, Surface, Tool
- Grinder Operator, External, Tool
- Finish Filer
- Die Trimmer
- Die Reamer
- Die Grinder
- Die Fitter
- Die Barber
- Cylinder Grinder
- Cutting Tool Sharpener
- Cutter Grind Tool Technician
- Crankshaft Grinder
- Computer Numerical Control Grinding Technician (CNC Grinding Technician)
- Card Grinder
Tasks for “Tool Grinding Machine Operator”
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Duplicate workpiece contours, using tracer attachments.
- Perform basic maintenance, such as cleaning and lubricating machine parts.
- Inspect dies to detect defects, assess wear, and verify specifications, using micrometers, steel gauge pins, and loupes.
- Select and mount grinding wheels on machines, according to specifications, using hand tools and applying knowledge of abrasives and grinding procedures.
- Attach workpieces to grinding machines and form specified sections and repair cracks, using welding or brazing equipment.
- Remove finished workpieces from machines and place them in boxes or on racks, setting aside pieces that are defective.
- Compute numbers, widths, and angles of cutting tools, micrometers, scales, and gauges, and adjust tools to produce specified cuts.
- Turn valves to direct flow of coolant against cutting wheels and workpieces during grinding.
- Dress grinding wheels, according to specifications.
- Straighten workpieces and remove dents, using straightening presses and hammers.
- Inspect, feel, and measure workpieces to ensure that surfaces and dimensions meet specifications.
- Study blueprints or layouts of metal workpieces to determine grinding procedures, and to plan machine setups and operational sequences.
- Set up and operate grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces such as dies, parts, and tools.
- Remove and replace worn or broken machine parts, using hand tools.
- Place workpieces in electroplating solutions or apply pigments to surfaces of workpieces to highlight ridges and grooves.
- Fit parts together in pre-assembly to ensure that dimensions are accurate.
- File or finish surfaces of workpieces, using prescribed hand tools.
Related Technology & Tools
- Gauge block sets
- Tool grinders
- Magnetic chucks
- Computer numerically controlled CNC grinders
- Drill grinders
- Digital micrometers
- Metal broaching machinery
- Machining centers
- Surface grinding machines
- Industrial bench grinders
- Solid milling cutters
- Power drills
- Automatic metalworking lathes
- Fixed overhead cranes
- Vernier calipers
- Digital calipers
- Digital radius gauges
- Digital angle gauges
- Dial bore gauges
- Hand reamer sets
- Air pressure gauges
- Bench grinding wheels
- Wheeled forklifts
- Dial indicators
- Cutter grinders
- Optical comparators
- ANCA ToolRoom