Will “Distribution A Class Lineman” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
64% Chance of Automation
“Distribution A Class Lineman” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #355 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Coordinate, regulate, or distribute electricity or steam.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8012.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 81,500.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 39.00
- Currently, there are 11,380 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Power Distributors and Dispatchers”.
Also Known As…
- Power Distributors and Dispatchers
- Transmission System Operator
- System Operator
- Power System Operator
- Power System Dispatcher
- Journeyman Lineman
- Electric System Operator
- Distribution System Operator
- Distribution Operations Supervisor
- Distribution Dispatcher
- Control Operator
- Voltage Inspector
- Switchboard Operator Assistant
- Switchboard Operator
- Switchboard and Control Room Operator
- Substation Operator Apprentice
- Substation Operator
- Steam Plant Control Room Operator
- Steam and Power Supervisor
- Steam and Power Superintendent
- Station Operator
- Senior System Operator
- Real Time Operator
- Production Team Member
- Power and Recovery Supervisor
- Power and Recovery Superintendent
- Power and Recovery Shift Engineer
- Motor Room Controller
- Load Dispatcher
- Feeder Switchboard Operator
- Electrical Energy Storage/Distribution Technician
- Electrical Energy Distribution Technician
- Distribution Systems Superintendent
- Distribution Systems Serviceperson
- Distribution Lineman
- Control Board Operator
- Control Area Operator
- Collection and Distribution Systems Manager
- Board Operator
Tasks for “Distribution A Class Lineman”
- Distribute or regulate the flow of power between entities, such as generating stations, substations, distribution lines, or users, keeping track of the status of circuits or connections.
- Calculate load estimates or equipment requirements to determine required control settings.
- Manipulate controls to adjust or activate power distribution equipment or machines.
- Prepare switching orders that will isolate work areas without causing power outages, referring to drawings of power systems.
- Implement energy schedules, including real-time transmission reservations or schedules.
- Track conditions that could affect power needs, such as changes in the weather, and adjust equipment to meet any anticipated changes.
- Inspect equipment to ensure that specifications are met or to detect any defects.
- Coordinate with engineers, planners, field personnel, or other utility workers to provide information such as clearances, switching orders, or distribution process changes.
- Direct personnel engaged in controlling or operating distribution equipment or machinery, such as instructing control room operators to start boilers or generators.
- Tend auxiliary equipment used in the power distribution process.
- Monitor and record switchboard or control board readings to ensure that electrical or steam distribution equipment is operating properly.
- Repair, maintain, or clean equipment or machinery, using hand tools.
- Control, monitor, or operate equipment that regulates or distributes electricity or steam, using data obtained from instruments or computers.
- Record and compile operational data, such as chart or meter readings, power demands, or usage and operating times, using transmission system maps.
- Respond to emergencies, such as transformer or transmission line failures, and route current around affected areas.
Related Technology & Tools
- Multi-metering switchboards
- Integrated power system switchboards
- Panelboard switches
- Mainframe computers
- Substation monitoring system software
- ABB PSGuard
- Catapult Software iPower SCADA
- Energy management system EMS
- Distribution management system DMS
- Geographic information system GIS software
- Wide area monitoring system WAMS software
- Radius Uni-View
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Radius NetMan
- Wide area remote control system software
- Siemens Spectrum Power TG
- Telvent Responder Outage Management System OMS
- OSI monarch/SGP
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
- Siemens Spectrum PowerCC Distribution Management
- ABB MicroSCADA Pro DMS
- Distribution automation system software
- ABB MicroSCADA Pro SYS
- Milsoft DisSPatch
- Siemens Energy and Automation
- Microsoft Access
- Outage management system OMS
- Microsoft Excel
- Substation automation system software