Will “Barge Loader” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
72% Chance of Automation
“Barge Loader” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #396 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Load and unload chemicals and bulk solids, such as coal, sand, and grain into or from tank cars, trucks, or ships using material moving equipment. May perform a variety of other tasks relating to shipment of products. May gauge or sample shipping tanks and test them for leaks.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7121.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,590.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 10,920 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders”.
Also Known As…
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
- Warehouse Man
- Shipping and Receiving Operator
- PVC Loader (Polyvinyl Chloride Loader)
- Loader Operator
- Load Out Person
- Chemical Recovery Operator
- Bulk Tank Car Unloader
- Yard Person
- Truck Unloader
- Truck Loader
- Tank Truck Loader
- Tank Car Loader
- Steel Loader
- Spout Tender
- Ships or Barges Loader
- Ship Unloader
- Receiving Operator
- Rail Loader
- Rail Car Unloader
- Rail Car Loader
- PVC Monitor (Polyvinyl Chloride Monitor)
- Pumper-Gauger Apprentice
- Dock Loader
- Coal Dumping Equipment Operator
- Caustics Loader
Tasks for “Barge Loader”
- Test vessels for leaks, damage, and defects, and repair or replace defective parts as necessary.
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, gauge readings, and operating times, manually or using computers.
- Verify tank car, barge, or truck load numbers to ensure car placement accuracy based on written or verbal instructions.
- Observe positions of cars passing loading spouts, and swing spouts into the correct positions at the appropriate times.
- Unload cars containing liquids by connecting hoses to outlet plugs and pumping compressed air into cars to force liquids into storage tanks.
- Connect ground cables to carry off static electricity when unloading tanker cars.
- Check conditions and weights of vessels to ensure cleanliness and compliance with loading procedures.
- Operate ship loading and unloading equipment, conveyors, hoists, and other specialized material handling equipment such as railroad tank car unloading equipment.
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles.
- Test samples for specific gravity, using hydrometers, or send samples to laboratories for testing.
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors, loaders and other equipment to transport materials to and from transportation vehicles and loading docks, and to store and retrieve materials in warehouses.
- Copy and attach load specifications to loaded tanks.
- Lower gauge rods into tanks or read meters to verify contents, temperatures, and volumes of liquid loads.
- Start pumps and adjust valves or cables to regulate the flow of products to vessels, using knowledge of loading procedures.
- Seal outlet valves on tank cars, barges, and trucks.
- Perform general warehouse activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory, and weighing and checking materials.
- Monitor product movement to and from storage tanks, coordinating activities with other workers to ensure constant product flow.
- Remove and replace tank car dome caps, or direct other workers in their removal and replacement.
- Clean interiors of tank cars or tank trucks, using mechanical spray nozzles.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mobile shiploaders
- Stock pickers
- Electric hoists
- Riding pallet jacks
- Conveyor belt systems
- Tablet computers
- Protective respirators
- Mechanical spray nozzles
- Warehouse forklifts
- Computer laser printers
- Personal computers
- Skid steers
- Walk behind pallet jacks
- Digital hydrometers
- Wheeled front end loaders
- Loading scales
- Reach trucks
- CompuWeigh GMS
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Excel
- Distributed control system DCS