Will “Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)”
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
Related Technology & Tools
- Millimeter rules
- Lens files
- Credit card processing machines
- Optical screwdrivers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- Desktop computers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Lens clocks
- Hex wrenches
- Lens aligning pliers
- Lens analyzers
- Digital calipers
- Chain nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Laptop computers
- Bracing pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Cash registers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Half-round files
- Personal computers
- Dial calipers
- Snellen eye charts
- Frame warmers
- Digital pupilometers
- Snipe nose pliers
- Angling pliers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- End piece pliers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Optometric lensometers
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- First Insight MaximEyes
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- Point of sale POS software
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Insight Software My Vision Express