Will “Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
71% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #391 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2081.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 37,860.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 18.00
- Currently, there are 75,270 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Opticians, Dispensing”.
Also Known As…
- Opticians, Dispensing
- Optometric Technician
- Optometric Assistant
- Optical Technician
- Ophthalmic Dispenser
- Licensed Optician
- Dispensing Optician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Certified Optician
- Optician Apprentice
- Optical Manager
- Optical Dispenser
- Optical Assistant
- Licensed Optical Dispenser
- Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)
- Eyeglass Fitter
- Dispensing Optician Apprentice
- Dispensing and Measuring Optician
- Contact Lens Fitter
Tasks for “Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO)”
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
Related Technology & Tools
- Snellen eye charts
- Desktop computers
- Optical screwdrivers
- Bracing pliers
- Optometric lensometers
- Phillips head screwdrivers
- Hex wrenches
- Cash registers
- Digital calipers
- Personal computers
- Flat nose pliers
- Millimeter rules
- Frame warmers
- Screw-holding tweezers
- Laptop computers
- Digital pupilometers
- Nose pad adjusting pliers
- End piece pliers
- Lens clocks
- Half-round files
- Snipe nose pliers
- Lens analyzers
- Chain nose pliers
- Optical cutting pliers
- Contact lens tweezers
- Credit card processing machines
- Lens aligning pliers
- Cold-bend pliers
- Bushing pullers
- Angling pliers
- Straight screwdrivers
- Hollow snipe pliers
- Pickup screwdrivers
- Dial calipers
- Contact lens thickness gauges
- Lens files
- Point of sale POS software
- OfficeMate Software Solutions OfficeMate
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Specialist Data Solutions OctoPlus
- Compulink Eyecare Advantage
- Insight Software My Vision Express
- Microsoft Word
- Diversified Ophthalmics Practice Maximus
- Microsoft Excel
- Cygnet Infotech Optifocus
- EZ-Zone Optizone Enterprise
- First Insight MaximEyes
- HealthLine Systems Eyecom
- Microsoft Office
- EMRlogic Systems ENTERPRISE Visions