Will “Motion Picture Projectionist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
97% Chance of Automation
“Motion Picture Projectionist” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #659 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Set up and operate motion picture projection and related sound reproduction equipment.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 39-3021.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 24,750.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 11.00
- Currently, there are 5,480 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Motion Picture Projectionists”.
Also Known As…
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Projector Booth Operator
- Projection Technician
- Movie Projectionist
- Booth Usher
- Booth Supervisor
- Booth Operator
- Booth Manager
- Theater Manager
- Spray Booth Operator
- Projector Operator
- Moving Picture Operator
- Movie Operator
- Movie Machine Operator
- Motion Picture Projectionist Apprentice
- Motion Picture Projectionist
- Motion Picture Operator
- Machine Operator
- Film Projector Operator
- Film Crew Member
- Equipment Operator
- Cinema Operator
- Chief Projectionist
- Audiovisual Technician
Tasks for “Motion Picture Projectionist”
- Install and connect auxiliary equipment, such as microphones, amplifiers, disc playback machines, and lights.
- Perform regular maintenance tasks such as rotating or replacing xenon bulbs, cleaning lenses, lubricating machinery, and keeping electrical contacts clean and tight.
- Insert film into top magazine reel, or thread film through a series of sprockets and guide rollers, attaching the end to a take-up reel.
- Prepare film inspection reports, attendance sheets, and log books.
- Operate special-effects equipment, such as stereopticons, to project pictures onto screens.
- Observe projector operation to anticipate need to transfer operations from one projector to another.
- Perform minor repairs such as replacing worn sprockets, or notify maintenance personnel of the need for major repairs.
- Inspect projection equipment prior to operation to ensure proper working order.
- Open and close facilities according to rules and schedules.
- Inspect movie films to ensure that they are complete and in good condition.
- Remove full take-up reels and run film through rewinding machines to rewind projected films so they may be shown again.
- Project motion pictures onto back screens for inclusion in scenes within film or stage productions.
- Set up and adjust picture projectors and screens to achieve proper size, illumination, and focus of images, and proper volume and tone of sound.
- Coordinate equipment operation with presentation of supplemental material, such as music, oral commentaries, or sound effects.
- Set up and inspect curtain and screen controls.
- Splice and rewind film onto reels automatically, or by hand, to repair faulty or broken sections of film.
- Remove film splicing to prepare films for shipment after showings and return films to their sources.
- Splice separate film reels, advertisements, and movie trailers together to form a feature-length presentation on one continuous reel.
- Monitor operations to ensure that standards for sound and image projection quality are met.
- Start projectors and open shutters to project images onto screens.
- Operate equipment to show films in a number of theaters simultaneously.
Related Technology & Tools
- Precision nut drivers
- Portable tape reproducers
- 8mm motion picture projectors
- Allen wrenches
- Phillips screwdrivers
- Portable motion picture projectors
- Film cleaning machines
- Movie theatre screens
- Power amplifiers
- Multi-image slide projectors
- Personal computers
- Cordless microphones
- Flathead screwdrivers
- Theater lights
- Laser disc playback machines
- Still image projectors
- 16mm motion picture projectors
- Portable hard drives
- Opaque slide projectors
- Digital movie projectors
- Splicing machines
- Emergency lighting
- Film rewinders
- Screen cleaning brushes
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Excel