Will “Letter Carrier” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
68% Chance of Automation
“Letter Carrier” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #375 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Sort mail for delivery. Deliver mail on established route by vehicle or on foot.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5052.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 50,610.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 328,950 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Carriers”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
- Rural Route Carrier
- Rural Mail Carrier
- Rural Carrier Associate (RCA)
- Rural Carrier
- Mail Carrier
- City Mail Carrier
- City Letter Carrier
- City Carrier Assistant (CCA)
- City Carrier
- USPS Letter Carrier (United States Postal Service Letter Carrier)
- Special Delivery Messenger
- Special Delivery Mail Carrier
- Rural Route Mail Carrier
- Route Carrier
- Registered Route Associate
- Postal Mail Carrier
- Postal Carrier
- Parcel Post Delivery
- Parcel Post Carrier
- Mail Sorter and Delivery
- Mail Rider
- Mail Messenger
- Mail Deliverer
- Mail Carrier Technician
- Mail Carrier and Clerk
- Letter Carrier
- Delivery and Mail Sorter
- Clerk Carrier
- Carrier Driver
- Carrier Associate
Tasks for “Letter Carrier”
- Obtain signed receipts for registered, certified, and insured mail, collect associated charges, and complete any necessary paperwork.
- Record address changes and redirect mail for those addresses.
- Bundle mail in preparation for delivery or transportation to relay boxes.
- Sign for cash-on-delivery and registered mail before leaving the post office.
- Hold mail for customers who are away from delivery locations.
- Complete forms that notify publishers of address changes.
- Turn in money and receipts collected along mail routes.
- Leave notices telling patrons where to collect mail that could not be delivered.
- Meet schedules for the collection and return of mail.
- Return to the post office with mail collected from homes, businesses, and public mailboxes.
- Provide customers with change of address cards and other forms.
- Return incorrectly addressed mail to senders.
- Report any unusual circumstances concerning mail delivery, including the condition of street letter boxes.
- Travel to post offices to pick up the mail for routes or pick up mail from postal relay boxes.
- Sell stamps and money orders.
- Register, certify, and insure parcels and letters.
- Scan labels on letters or parcels to confirm receipt.
- Enter change of address orders into computers that process forwarding address stickers.
- Sort mail for delivery, arranging it in delivery sequence.
- Maintain accurate records of deliveries.
- Answer customers' questions about postal services and regulations.
- Deliver mail to residences and business establishments along specified routes by walking or driving, using a combination of satchels, carts, cars, and small trucks.
Related Technology & Tools
- Small trucks
- Mail relay boxes
- Handheld computers
- Postal vehicle tire chains
- Wheeled carts
- Mail sorting trays
- Mail distribution cases
- Delivery unit computers
- Passenger vehicles
- Portable barcode scanners
- Time clocks
- Route cases
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Automated Data Collection System ADCS
- Delivery operations information system DOIS
- End of Run Report EOR
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Microsoft Windows
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Address Management System AMS