Will “Underground Roof Bolter” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
49% Chance of Automation
“Underground Roof Bolter” will probably not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #296 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 47-5061.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 58,110.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 27.00
- Currently, there are 3,930 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Roof Bolters, Mining”.
Also Known As…
- Roof Bolters, Mining
- Underground Coal Miner (Roof Bolter)
- Roof Bolter Operator
- Roof Bolter
- Inby (Roof Bolter)
- Bolt Man
- Bolt Machine Operator
- Underground Roof Bolter
- Underground Mining Section Foreman
- Underground Mine Superintendent
- Underground Bolting Machine Operator
- Roof Bolting Coal Miner
- Bolting Machine Operator
Tasks for “Underground Roof Bolter”
- Test bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
- Drill bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Force bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Position safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Rotate chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and insert bolts into chucks.
- Install truss bolts traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Position bolting machines, and insert drill bits into chucks.
- Tighten ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.
Related Technology & Tools
- Digital pressure gauges
- Methane monitors
- Boom roof bolters
- Portable rock drills
- Roof bolters
- Roof screens
- Torque drivers
- Lube guns
- Personal computers
- Shoring jacks
- Hydraulic disconnects
- Steel measuring tapes
- Self-propelled bolting machines
- Remote-control continuous miners
- Dust and particulate respirators
- Scaling bars
- Pneumatic rock drilling tools
- Caterpillar Command
- Data entry software
- Caterpillar Cat MineStar System