Will “Marine Engineers” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Design, develop, and take responsibility for the installation of ship machinery and related equipment including propulsion machines and power supply systems.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2121.01
Also Known As…
- Ships Equipment Engineer
- Propulsion Machinery Service Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Marine Surveyor
- Marine Engineering Consultant
- Marine Engineer
- Marine Design Engineer
- Marine Consultant
- Hull Outfit Supervisor
- Consulting Marine Engineer
- Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE)
- Structural Designer
- Ship Surveyor
- Port Engineer
- Naval Marine Engineer
- Naval Engineer
- Marine Equipment Test Engineer
- Marine Equipment Research Engineer
- Marine Equipment Design Engineer
- Automation Engineer
Tasks for “Marine Engineers”
- Investigate and observe tests on machinery and equipment for compliance with standards.
- Procure materials needed to repair marine equipment and machinery.
- Analyze data to determine feasibility of product proposals.
- Inspect marine equipment and machinery to draw up work requests and job specifications.
- Check, test, and maintain automatic controls and alarm systems.
- Supervise other engineers and crew members and train them for routine and emergency duties.
- Prepare plans, estimates, design and construction schedules, and contract specifications, including any special provisions.
- Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment.
- Prepare, or direct the preparation of, product or system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Confer with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and to develop or modify designs.
- Review work requests and compare them with previous work completed on ships to ensure that costs are economically sound.
- Maintain records of engineering department activities, including expense records and details of equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain and coordinate repair of marine machinery and equipment for installation on vessels.
- Perform monitoring activities to ensure that ships comply with international regulations and standards for life saving equipment and pollution preventatives.
- Evaluate operation of marine equipment during acceptance testing and shakedown cruises.
- Design and oversee testing, installation, and repair of marine apparatus and equipment.
- Conduct analytical, environmental, operational, or performance studies to develop designs for products, such as marine engines, equipment, and structures.
- Schedule machine overhauls and the servicing of electrical, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water, and sewage systems.
- Determine conditions under which tests are to be conducted, as well as sequences and phases of test operations.
- Coordinate activities with regulatory bodies to ensure repairs and alterations are at minimum cost, consistent with safety.
- Maintain contact with, and formulate reports for, contractors and clients to ensure completion of work at minimum cost.
- Act as liaisons between ships' captains and shore personnel to ensure that schedules and budgets are maintained, and that ships are operated safely and efficiently.
- Prepare technical reports for use by engineering, management, or sales personnel.
Related Technology & Tools
- Safety glasses
- Personal computers
- Desktop computers
- Hard hats
- Programmable logic controllers PLC
- Laptop computers
- Proteus Engineering FastShip
- ANSYS FLUENT
- Microsoft Word
- Autodesk Algor Simulation
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Office
- Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Intergraph SmartMarine 3D
- Oracle Primavera Systems
- McNeel Rhino software
- Siemens PLM Software NX
- MSC Software Nastran
- Structural Dynamics StruCAD*3D
- HydroComp NavCad
- Seaworthy Systems Shipboard Automated Maintenance Management SAMM
- PTC Pro/Pipe
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Tension Technology International OPTIMOOR
- Microsoft Access
- Siemens PLM Software Solid Edge
- Microsoft Excel
- IBM Lotus 1-2-3
- Research Engineers International STAAD.Pro
- Creative System GHS
- Microsoft Project
- Creo Parametric Pro/ENGINEER
- Autodesk AutoCAD