Will “Patternmakers, Wood” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
91% Chance of Automation
“Patternmakers, Wood” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #559 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Plan, lay out, and construct wooden unit or sectional patterns used in forming sand molds for castings.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-7032.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 47,850.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 970 people on this job
Also Known As…
- Wood Pattern Maker
- Pattern Maker
- Mold Maker
- Journeyman Patternmaker
- Apprentice Pattern Maker
- Wood Patternmaker Apprentice
- Wood Patternmaker
- Wood Experimental Mechanic
- Wood Die Maker
- Pattern Worker
- Mold Forms Builder
- Model Maker
- Forms Builder
Tasks for “Patternmakers, Wood”
- Mark identifying information such as colors or codes on patterns, parts, and templates to indicate assembly methods.
- Maintain pattern records for reference.
- Correct patterns to compensate for defects in castings.
- Fit, fasten, and assemble wood parts together to form patterns, models, or sections, using glue, nails, dowels, bolts, and screws.
- Compute dimensions, areas, volumes, and weights.
- Finish completed products or models with shellac, lacquer, wax, or paint.
- Glue fillets along interior angles of patterns.
- Select lumber to be used for patterns.
- Repair broken or damaged patterns.
- Set up, operate, and adjust a variety of woodworking machines such as bandsaws and lathes to cut and shape sections, parts, and patterns, according to specifications.
- Construct wooden models, templates, full scale mock-ups, jigs, or molds for shaping parts of products.
- Read blueprints, drawings, or written specifications to determine sizes and shapes of patterns and required machine setups.
- Verify dimensions of completed patterns, using templates, straightedges, calipers, or protractors.
- Estimate costs for patternmaking jobs.
- Collect and store patterns and lumber.
- Divide patterns into sections according to shapes of castings to facilitate removal of patterns from molds.
- Trim, smooth, and shape surfaces, and plane, shave, file, scrape, and sand models to attain specified shapes, using hand tools.
- Issue patterns to designated machine operators.
- Lay out patterns on wood stock and draw outlines of units, sectional patterns, or full-scale mock-ups of products, based on blueprint specifications and sketches, and using marking and measuring devices.
- Inventory equipment and supplies, ordering parts and tools as necessary.
Related Technology & Tools
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Cordless power sanders
- Roughing gouges
- Milling machines
- Automatic lathes
- Slip joint pliers
- Socket sets
- Benchtop drill presses
- Digital bench scales
- Computer numerically controlled CNC routers
- Hand planers
- Cleaning scrapers
- Measuring tapes
- Adjustable hand wrenches
- Power grinders
- Carpenters' hammers
- Mini hacksaws
- Table saws
- Digital micrometers
- Punch sets
- Digital calipers
- Woodworking chisels
- Microsoft Excel
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Office
- 3D Systems Geomagic Design X
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Delcam PowerMILL