Will “Mine Shuttle Car Operators” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
37% Chance of Automation
“Mine Shuttle Car Operators” will probably not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #260 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate diesel or electric-powered shuttle car in underground mine to transport materials from working face to mine cars or conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7111.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 56,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 27.00
- Currently, there are 1,590 people on this job
Also Known As…
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Ram Car Operator
- Coal Hauler Operator
- Shuttle Operator
- Shuttle Buggy Operator
- Monitor Car Operator
- Cart Driver
- Car Pincher
- Car Dumper
- Car Dropper
- Buggy Runner
- Buggy Operator
- Buggy Driver
Tasks for “Mine Shuttle Car Operators”
- Drive loaded shuttle cars to ramps and move controls to discharge loads into mine cars or onto conveyors.
- Control conveyors that run the entire length of shuttle cars to distribute loads as loading progresses.
- Measure, weigh, or verify levels of rock, gravel, or other excavated material to prevent equipment overloads.
- Move mine cars into position for loading and unloading, using pinchbars inserted under car wheels to position cars under loading spouts.
- Read written instructions or confer with supervisors about schedules and materials to be moved.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines.
- Maintain records of materials moved.
- Open and close bottom doors of cars to dump contents.
- Clean, fuel, and service equipment, and repair and replace parts as necessary.
- Direct other workers to move stakes, place blocks, position anchors or cables, or move materials.
- Guide and stop cars by switching, applying brakes, or placing scotches, or wooden wedges, between wheels and rails.
- Push or ride cars down slopes, or hook cars to cables and control cable drum brakes, to ease cars down inclines.
- Monitor loading processes to ensure that materials are loaded according to specifications.
Related Technology & Tools
- Utility knives
- Diesel shuttle cars
- Hearing protection plugs
- Hydraulic valve controls
- Reflective vests
- Cap lamps
- Steel-toed boots
- Pinch bars
- Mobile radios
- Mining conveyor systems
- Channel lock pliers
- Electric shuttle cars
- Protective glasses
- Electric switch controls
- Safety gloves
- Data entry software
- Mine maintenance software
- Automated systems software