Will “Durability Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Assist engineers in determining the practicality of proposed product design changes and plan and carry out tests on experimental test devices or equipment for performance, durability, or efficiency.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-3027.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Automotive Engineering Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Test Engineer
- Research Technician
- Laboratory Technician (Lab Technician)
- Engineering Team Supervisor
- Emissions Engineer
- Automotive Engineering Technician
- Auto Design Checker
Tasks for “Durability Technician”
- Set up mechanical, hydraulic, or electric test equipment in accordance with engineering specifications, standards, or test procedures.
- Analyze performance of vehicles or components that have been redesigned to increase fuel efficiency, such as camless or dual-clutch engines or alternative types of air-conditioning systems.
- Read and interpret blueprints, schematics, work specifications, drawings, or charts.
- Improve fuel efficiency by testing vehicles or components that use lighter materials, such as aluminum, magnesium alloy, or plastic.
- Test performance of vehicles that use alternative fuels, such as alcohol blends, natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, biodiesel, nano diesel, or alternative power methods, such as solar energy or hydrogen fuel cells.
- Maintain test equipment in operational condition by performing routine maintenance or making minor repairs or adjustments as needed.
- Monitor computer-controlled test equipment, according to written or verbal instructions.
- Recommend product or component design improvements, based on test data or observations.
- Perform or execute manual or automated tests of automotive system or component performance, efficiency, or durability.
- Document test results, using cameras, spreadsheets, documents, or other tools.
- Build instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
- Order new test equipment, supplies, or replacement parts.
- Inspect or test parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Install equipment, such as instrumentation, test equipment, engines, or aftermarket products, to ensure proper interfaces.
- Recommend tests or testing conditions in accordance with designs, customer requirements, or industry standards to ensure test validity.
- Participate in research or testing of computerized automotive applications, such as telemetrics, intelligent transportation systems, artificial intelligence, or automatic control.
- Analyze test data for automotive systems, subsystems, or component parts.
- Fabricate new or modify existing prototype components or fixtures.
Related Technology & Tools
- Chassis dynamometers
- Leakage testers
- Tungsten inert gas TIG welding equipment
- Metal inert gas MIG welders
- High-vacuum tensile testing chambers
- Computerized numerical control CNC turning centers
- Exhaust gas analyzers
- Engine lathes
- Pin gauges
- Force gauges
- Electronic engine analyzers
- Ignition oscilloscopes
- Vibration testers
- Compression testers
- Crack detection equipment
- Function generators
- Timing lights
- Computer numerical controlled CNC milling machines
- Plasma cutters
- Environmental chambers
- Flow benches
- Frequency counters
- Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical
- Microsoft Excel
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Autodesk Inventor
- Microsoft Word
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Data acquisition software
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Microsoft Office
- IBM Notes
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- Road simulators