Will “Durability Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Assist engineers in determining the practicality of proposed product design changes and plan and carry out tests on experimental test devices or equipment for performance, durability, or efficiency.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-3027.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Automotive Engineering Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Test Engineer
- Research Technician
- Laboratory Technician (Lab Technician)
- Engineering Team Supervisor
- Emissions Engineer
- Automotive Engineering Technician
- Auto Design Checker
Tasks for “Durability Technician”
- Maintain test equipment in operational condition by performing routine maintenance or making minor repairs or adjustments as needed.
- Set up mechanical, hydraulic, or electric test equipment in accordance with engineering specifications, standards, or test procedures.
- Document test results, using cameras, spreadsheets, documents, or other tools.
- Recommend product or component design improvements, based on test data or observations.
- Fabricate new or modify existing prototype components or fixtures.
- Participate in research or testing of computerized automotive applications, such as telemetrics, intelligent transportation systems, artificial intelligence, or automatic control.
- Test performance of vehicles that use alternative fuels, such as alcohol blends, natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, biodiesel, nano diesel, or alternative power methods, such as solar energy or hydrogen fuel cells.
- Improve fuel efficiency by testing vehicles or components that use lighter materials, such as aluminum, magnesium alloy, or plastic.
- Perform or execute manual or automated tests of automotive system or component performance, efficiency, or durability.
- Recommend tests or testing conditions in accordance with designs, customer requirements, or industry standards to ensure test validity.
- Analyze test data for automotive systems, subsystems, or component parts.
- Order new test equipment, supplies, or replacement parts.
- Analyze performance of vehicles or components that have been redesigned to increase fuel efficiency, such as camless or dual-clutch engines or alternative types of air-conditioning systems.
- Read and interpret blueprints, schematics, work specifications, drawings, or charts.
- Build instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
- Inspect or test parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Install equipment, such as instrumentation, test equipment, engines, or aftermarket products, to ensure proper interfaces.
- Monitor computer-controlled test equipment, according to written or verbal instructions.
Related Technology & Tools
- Compression testers
- Tungsten inert gas TIG welding equipment
- Ignition oscilloscopes
- Plasma cutters
- Flow benches
- Computer numerical controlled CNC milling machines
- Exhaust gas analyzers
- Timing lights
- Electronic engine analyzers
- Frequency counters
- Leakage testers
- High-vacuum tensile testing chambers
- Chassis dynamometers
- Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Force gauges
- Computerized numerical control CNC turning centers
- Crack detection equipment
- Pin gauges
- Engine lathes
- Function generators
- Environmental chambers
- Vibration testers
- National Instruments LabVIEW
- IBM Notes
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical
- Microsoft Office
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Data acquisition software
- PTC Creo Parametric
- Road simulators
- Autodesk Inventor
- Computer aided design CAD software