Will “Bioinformatics Assistant” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Apply principles and methods of bioinformatics to assist scientists in areas such as pharmaceuticals, medical technology, biotechnology, computational biology, proteomics, computer information science, biology and medical informatics. Apply bioinformatics tools to visualize, analyze, manipulate or interpret molecular data. May build and maintain databases for processing and analyzing genomic or other biological information.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9111.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Bioinformatics Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Bioinformatics Technicians
- Scientific Informatics Analyst
- Research Assistant
- Museum Informatics Specialist
- Informatics Developer
- Bioinformatics Technician
- Bioinformatics Specialist
- Bioinformatics Developer
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- Assistant Research Scientist
- Log Data Technician
- Database Technician
- Data Technician
- Data Analyst
- Biometrics Technician
- Bioinformatics Research Technician
Tasks for “Bioinformatics Assistant”
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging computational methods and technologies.
- Monitor database performance and perform any necessary maintenance, upgrades, or repairs.
- Perform routine system administrative functions such as troubleshooting, back-ups, and upgrades.
- Create data management or error-checking procedures and user manuals.
- Develop or maintain applications that process biologically based data into searchable databases for purposes of analysis, calculation, or presentation.
- Confer with database users about project timelines and changes.
- Enter or retrieve information from structural databases, protein sequence motif databases, mutation databases, genomic databases or gene expression databases.
- Write computer programs or scripts to be used in querying databases.
- Conduct quality analyses of data inputs and resulting analyses or predictions.
- Design or implement web-based tools for querying large-scale biological databases.
- Analyze or manipulate bioinformatics data using software packages, statistical applications, or data mining techniques.
- Test new or updated software or tools and provide feedback to developers.
- Develop or apply data mining and machine learning algorithms.
- Document all database changes, modifications, or problems.
- Participate in the preparation of reports or scientific publications.
- Confer with researchers, clinicians, or information technology staff to determine data needs and programming requirements and to provide assistance with database-related research activities.
- Package bioinformatics data for submission to public repositories.
- Train bioinformatics staff or researchers in the use of databases.
- Extend existing software programs, web-based interactive tools, or database queries as sequence management and analysis needs evolve.
Related Technology & Tools
- Semiconductor-based sequencers
- Nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers
- Desktop computers
- Web servers
- Computer workstation setups
- Computer clusters
- Network file servers
- High throughput screening HTS systems
- Practical extraction and reporting language Perl
- Basic Local Alignment Search Tool BLAST
- Oracle Java
- Jenkins CI
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Ion Reporter
- Atlassian Bamboo
- Web browser software
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Apache Subversion
- Burrows-Wheeler Aligner BWA
- Genome Analysis ToolKit GATK
- The MathWorks MATLAB