Will “Bioinformatics Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Apply principles and methods of bioinformatics to assist scientists in areas such as pharmaceuticals, medical technology, biotechnology, computational biology, proteomics, computer information science, biology and medical informatics. Apply bioinformatics tools to visualize, analyze, manipulate or interpret molecular data. May build and maintain databases for processing and analyzing genomic or other biological information.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-9111.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Bioinformatics Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Bioinformatics Technicians
- Scientific Informatics Analyst
- Research Assistant
- Museum Informatics Specialist
- Informatics Developer
- Bioinformatics Specialist
- Bioinformatics Developer
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- Assistant Research Scientist
- Log Data Technician
- Database Technician
- Data Technician
- Data Analyst
- Biometrics Technician
- Bioinformatics Technician
- Bioinformatics Research Technician
- Bioinformatics Assistant
Tasks for “Bioinformatics Technician”
- Extend existing software programs, web-based interactive tools, or database queries as sequence management and analysis needs evolve.
- Confer with database users about project timelines and changes.
- Test new or updated software or tools and provide feedback to developers.
- Document all database changes, modifications, or problems.
- Analyze or manipulate bioinformatics data using software packages, statistical applications, or data mining techniques.
- Perform routine system administrative functions such as troubleshooting, back-ups, and upgrades.
- Participate in the preparation of reports or scientific publications.
- Develop or maintain applications that process biologically based data into searchable databases for purposes of analysis, calculation, or presentation.
- Create data management or error-checking procedures and user manuals.
- Monitor database performance and perform any necessary maintenance, upgrades, or repairs.
- Design or implement web-based tools for querying large-scale biological databases.
- Train bioinformatics staff or researchers in the use of databases.
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging computational methods and technologies.
- Develop or apply data mining and machine learning algorithms.
- Confer with researchers, clinicians, or information technology staff to determine data needs and programming requirements and to provide assistance with database-related research activities.
- Write computer programs or scripts to be used in querying databases.
- Conduct quality analyses of data inputs and resulting analyses or predictions.
- Package bioinformatics data for submission to public repositories.
- Enter or retrieve information from structural databases, protein sequence motif databases, mutation databases, genomic databases or gene expression databases.
Related Technology & Tools
- Computer workstation setups
- Computer clusters
- Network file servers
- High throughput screening HTS systems
- Web servers
- Nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers
- Desktop computers
- Semiconductor-based sequencers
- Genome Analysis ToolKit GATK
- Jenkins CI
- Hypertext markup language HTML
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Ion Reporter
- Web browser software
- Basic Local Alignment Search Tool BLAST
- Apache Subversion
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Atlassian Bamboo
- Oracle Java
- Burrows-Wheeler Aligner BWA
- Practical extraction and reporting language Perl