Will “Engineer Assistant” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
93% Chance of Automation
“Engineer Assistant” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #579 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Monitor locomotive instruments and watch for dragging equipment, obstacles on rights-of-way, and train signals during run. Watch for and relay traffic signals from yard workers to yard engineer in railroad yard.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-4012.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 63,750.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 30.00
- Currently, there are 1,210 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Locomotive Firers”.
Also Known As…
- Locomotive Firers
- Passenger Locomotive Engineer
- Locomotive Engineer
- Assistant Passenger Locomotive Engineer
- Assistant Engineer
- Steam Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Shop Firer/Fireman
- Roundhouse Firer/Fireman
- Railroad Firer/Fireman
- Railroad Firer
- Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Electric Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Donkey Engine Firer/Fireman
- Dinkey Engine Firer/Fireman
- Dinkey Engine Firer
- Diesel Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Diesel Locomotive Firer
Tasks for “Engineer Assistant”
- Observe tracks from left sides of locomotives to detect obstructions on tracks.
- Receive signals from workers in rear of train and relay that information to engineers.
- Monitor trains as they go around curves to detect dragging equipment and smoking journal boxes.
- Monitor oil, temperature, and pressure gauges on dashboards to determine if engines are operating safely and efficiently.
- Observe train signals along routes and verify their meanings for engineers.
- Signal other workers to set brakes and to throw track switches when switching cars from trains to way stations.
- Inspect locomotives to detect damaged or worn parts.
- Operate locomotives in emergency situations.
- Start diesel engines to warm engines before runs.
- Check to see that trains are equipped with supplies such as fuel, water, and sand.
Related Technology & Tools
- Electric powered freight engines
- Rail flaw detector cars
- Dinkey engines
- Clamp-on ammeters
- Air horns
- Load current indicating meters
- Manual rail switches
- Track switches
- Gas turbine-electric freight engines
- Diesel powered freight engines
- Straight screwdrivers
- Track switching systems
- Circuit breakers
- Freight car air brakes
- Dynamic braking systems
- Reflective vests
- Rail cargo cars
- Battery gauges
- Hand brakes
- Dry chemical fire extinguishers
- Mobile radios
- Generator electrical control panels
- Protective glasses
- Temperature gauges
- Locomotive airbrakes
- Speed gauges
- Rail flaw detection machines
- Steam powered train engines
- Safety gloves
- Steel toe boots
- Diesel-electric freight engines
- Philips head screwdrivers
- Diesel powered generators
- Desktop computers
- Oil pressure gauges
- Cut-off valves
- Route mapping software
- Electronic train management system software
- Time tracking software
- Data entry software