Will “Load Out Person” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
72% Chance of Automation
“Load Out Person” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #396 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Load and unload chemicals and bulk solids, such as coal, sand, and grain into or from tank cars, trucks, or ships using material moving equipment. May perform a variety of other tasks relating to shipment of products. May gauge or sample shipping tanks and test them for leaks.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7121.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,590.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 10,920 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders”.
Also Known As…
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
- Warehouse Man
- Shipping and Receiving Operator
- PVC Loader (Polyvinyl Chloride Loader)
- Loader Operator
- Load Out Person
- Chemical Recovery Operator
- Bulk Tank Car Unloader
- Yard Person
- Truck Unloader
- Truck Loader
- Tank Truck Loader
- Tank Car Loader
- Steel Loader
- Spout Tender
- Ships or Barges Loader
- Ship Unloader
- Receiving Operator
- Rail Loader
- Rail Car Unloader
- Rail Car Loader
- PVC Monitor (Polyvinyl Chloride Monitor)
- Pumper-Gauger Apprentice
- Dock Loader
- Coal Dumping Equipment Operator
- Caustics Loader
- Barge Loader
Tasks for “Load Out Person”
- Clean interiors of tank cars or tank trucks, using mechanical spray nozzles.
- Verify tank car, barge, or truck load numbers to ensure car placement accuracy based on written or verbal instructions.
- Start pumps and adjust valves or cables to regulate the flow of products to vessels, using knowledge of loading procedures.
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles.
- Unload cars containing liquids by connecting hoses to outlet plugs and pumping compressed air into cars to force liquids into storage tanks.
- Connect ground cables to carry off static electricity when unloading tanker cars.
- Perform general warehouse activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory, and weighing and checking materials.
- Remove and replace tank car dome caps, or direct other workers in their removal and replacement.
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, gauge readings, and operating times, manually or using computers.
- Lower gauge rods into tanks or read meters to verify contents, temperatures, and volumes of liquid loads.
- Test vessels for leaks, damage, and defects, and repair or replace defective parts as necessary.
- Monitor product movement to and from storage tanks, coordinating activities with other workers to ensure constant product flow.
- Observe positions of cars passing loading spouts, and swing spouts into the correct positions at the appropriate times.
- Check conditions and weights of vessels to ensure cleanliness and compliance with loading procedures.
- Test samples for specific gravity, using hydrometers, or send samples to laboratories for testing.
- Copy and attach load specifications to loaded tanks.
- Operate ship loading and unloading equipment, conveyors, hoists, and other specialized material handling equipment such as railroad tank car unloading equipment.
- Seal outlet valves on tank cars, barges, and trucks.
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors, loaders and other equipment to transport materials to and from transportation vehicles and loading docks, and to store and retrieve materials in warehouses.
Related Technology & Tools
- Personal computers
- Protective respirators
- Riding pallet jacks
- Stock pickers
- Mobile shiploaders
- Electric hoists
- Skid steers
- Mechanical spray nozzles
- Wheeled front end loaders
- Computer laser printers
- Walk behind pallet jacks
- Loading scales
- Conveyor belt systems
- Digital hydrometers
- Warehouse forklifts
- Reach trucks
- Tablet computers
- Data entry software
- Distributed control system DCS
- Microsoft Excel
- CompuWeigh GMS