Will “Direct Support Staff” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
27% Chance of Automation
“Direct Support Staff” will almost certainly not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #231 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Under close supervision of an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant, perform only delegated, selected, or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing patient and treatment room.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 31-2012.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 31,840.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 15.00
- Currently, there are 7,210 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Occupational Therapy Aides”.
Also Known As…
- Occupational Therapy Aides
- Restorative Coordinator
- Restorative Aide
- Rehabilitation Technician (Rehab Tech)
- Rehabilitation Services Aide
- Rehabilitation Aide (Rehab Aide)
- Occupational Therapy Technician (OT Tech)
- Occupational Therapy Aide (OT Aide)
- Direct Service Professional
- Certified Occupational Rehabilitation Aide (CORA)
- Therapy Tech
- Restorative, Rehab Aide
- Rehabilitation Tech
- Rehabilitation Aide/Scheduler
- Program Trainer
- Occupational Therapist Aide (OT Aide)
- Occupational Rehabilitation Aide
- Independent Living Specialist
- Direct Support Staff
- Direct Support Professional
Tasks for “Direct Support Staff”
- Evaluate the living skills and capacities of physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled clients.
- Manage intradepartmental infection control and equipment security.
- Prepare and maintain work area, materials, and equipment and maintain inventory of treatment and educational supplies.
- Adjust and repair assistive devices and make adaptive changes to other equipment and to environments.
- Assist occupational therapists in planning, implementing, and administering therapy programs to restore, reinforce, and enhance performance, using selected activities and special equipment.
- Transport patients to and from the occupational therapy work area.
- Accompany patients on outings, providing transportation when necessary.
- Encourage patients and attend to their physical needs to facilitate the attainment of therapeutic goals.
- Observe patients' attendance, progress, attitudes, and accomplishments and record and maintain information in client records.
- Report to supervisors or therapists, verbally or in writing, on patients' progress, attitudes, attendance, and accomplishments.
- Perform clerical, administrative, and secretarial duties, such as answering phones, restocking and ordering supplies, filling out paperwork, and scheduling appointments.
- Assist educational specialists or clinical psychologists in administering situational or diagnostic tests to measure client's abilities or progress.
- Instruct patients and families in work, social, and living skills, the care and use of adaptive equipment, and other skills to facilitate home and work adjustment to disability.
- Demonstrate therapy techniques, such as manual and creative arts and games.
- Supervise patients in choosing and completing work assignments or arts and crafts projects.
Related Technology & Tools
- Rawhide mallets
- Crochet hooks
- Multi-purpose saw sets
- Therapeutic balls
- Orthopedic splints
- Leather scissors
- Personal computers
- Sewing needles
- Hand weights
- Beading needles
- Adaptive cutlery
- Power hand sanders
- Transfer belts
- Augmentative communication systems
- Communication boards
- Wheeled walkers
- Scooter boards
- Lacing needles
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Wood chisels
- Sewing machines
- Desktop computers
- Rehabilitation training ramps
- Punching awls
- Dressing sticks
- Latch hooks
- Braille writers
- Rivet setters
- Rotary punches
- Knitting needles
- Microsoft Word
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Scheduling software
- Billing software
- Data entry software
- Microsoft Office
- MEDITECH software