Will “Direct Care Worker (DCW)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Direct Care Worker (DCW)” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
Tasks for “Direct Care Worker (DCW)”
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
Related Technology & Tools
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Suction machines
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Oxygen carts
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Personal computers
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Traction equipment
- Desktop computers
- Emergency carts
- Patient restraints
- Safety gloves
- Hospital beds
- Surgical masks
- Notebook computers
- Blood drawing syringes
- Tablet computers
- Cold therapy equipment
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Heat therapy equipment
- Enema equipment
- Hypodermic syringes
- Urinary catheters
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Nasogastric tubes
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Microsoft Office
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Microsoft Excel
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Cerner ProFile
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS