Will “Direct Care Worker (DCW)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Direct Care Worker (DCW)” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
Tasks for “Direct Care Worker (DCW)”
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
Related Technology & Tools
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Notebook computers
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Personal computers
- Cold therapy equipment
- Urinary catheters
- Surgical masks
- Desktop computers
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Tablet computers
- Enema equipment
- Blood drawing syringes
- Suction machines
- Nasogastric tubes
- Hospital beds
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Safety gloves
- Heat therapy equipment
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Oxygen carts
- Hypodermic syringes
- Emergency carts
- Patient restraints
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Traction equipment
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Microsoft Excel
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Microsoft Office
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Cerner ProFile
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager