Will “Patient Care Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Patient Care Specialist” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Milieu Therapist
- Direct Care Worker (DCW)
Tasks for “Patient Care Specialist”
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
Related Technology & Tools
- Oxygen carts
- Enema equipment
- Safety gloves
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Traction equipment
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Emergency carts
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Suction machines
- Cold therapy equipment
- Hypodermic syringes
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Patient restraints
- Blood drawing syringes
- Notebook computers
- Hospital beds
- Surgical masks
- Urinary catheters
- Heat therapy equipment
- Nasogastric tubes
- Tablet computers
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Microsoft Excel
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Microsoft Office
- Cerner ProFile
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS