Will “Traffic Control Officer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
84% Chance of Automation
“Traffic Control Officer” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #482 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Patrol assigned area, such as public parking lot or city streets to issue tickets to overtime parking violators and illegally parked vehicles.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 33-3041.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 39,650.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 19.00
- Currently, there are 8,920 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Parking Enforcement Workers”.
Also Known As…
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Ticket Writer
- Parking Technician
- Parking Regulation Enforcement Officer
- Parking Officer
- Parking Enforcer
- Parking Enforcement Technician
- Parking Enforcement Officer (PEO)
- Parking Control Officer
- Community Service Officer
- College Service Officer
- Service Employee
- Ramp Service Employee
- Parking Meter Attendant
- Parking Enforcement Specialist
- Enforcement Safety Officer
- Civilian Technician
Tasks for “Traffic Control Officer”
- Write warnings and citations for illegally parked vehicles.
- Mark tires of parked vehicles with chalk and record time of marking, and return at regular intervals to ensure that parking time limits are not exceeded.
- Observe and report hazardous conditions such as missing traffic signals or signs, and street markings that need to be repainted.
- Remove handbills within patrol areas.
- Patrol an assigned area by vehicle or on foot to ensure public compliance with existing parking ordinance.
- Provide information to the public regarding parking regulations and facilities, and the location of streets, buildings and points of interest.
- Respond to and make radio dispatch calls regarding parking violations and complaints.
- Enter and retrieve information pertaining to vehicle registration, identification, and status, using hand-held computers.
- Train new or temporary staff.
- Maintain close communications with dispatching personnel, using two-way radios or cell phones.
- Provide assistance to motorists needing help with problems, such as flat tires, keys locked in cars, or dead batteries.
- Appear in court at hearings regarding contested traffic citations.
- Locate lost, stolen, and counterfeit parking permits, and take necessary enforcement action.
- Prepare and maintain required records, including logs of parking enforcement activities, and records of contested citations.
- Wind parking meter clocks.
- Perform traffic control duties such as setting up barricades and temporary signs, placing bags on parking meters to limit their use, or directing traffic.
- Investigate and answer complaints regarding contested parking citations, determining their validity and routing them appropriately.
- Collect coins deposited in meters.
- Make arrangements for illegally parked or abandoned vehicles to be towed, and direct tow-truck drivers to the correct vehicles.
- Maintain assigned equipment and supplies such as hand-held citation computers, citation books, rain gear, tire-marking chalk, and street cones.
- Identify vehicles in violation of parking codes, checking with dispatchers when necessary to confirm identities or to determine whether vehicles need to be booted or towed.
- Assign and review the work of subordinates.
- Perform simple vehicle maintenance procedures such as checking oil and gas, and report mechanical problems to supervisors.
Related Technology & Tools
- Handheld data collectors
- Desktop computers
- Digital still cameras
- Parking ticket printers
- Payment receipt printers
- Laptop computers
- Wheel locks
- Mobile radios
- Barcode scanners
- Electronic cash registers
- Analog parking meters
- Parking meter readers
- Mountain bicycles
- License plate recognition LPR cameras
- Handheld ticket writers
- Parking enforcement vehicles
- Parking timers
- Vehicle information databases
- Complus Data Innovations FastTrack
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Office
- Integrated Parking Solutions MApp
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Ticket issuing software
- Web browser software