Will “Health Care Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Health Care Technician” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
- Direct Care Worker (DCW)
Tasks for “Health Care Technician”
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
Related Technology & Tools
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Personal computers
- Tablet computers
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Oxygen carts
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Safety gloves
- Traction equipment
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Notebook computers
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Suction machines
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Enema equipment
- Heat therapy equipment
- Desktop computers
- Hypodermic syringes
- Blood drawing syringes
- Cold therapy equipment
- Urinary catheters
- Nasogastric tubes
- Hospital beds
- Surgical masks
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Patient restraints
- Emergency carts
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- Microsoft Office
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Cerner ProFile
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Microsoft Excel