Will “Health Care Technician” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Health Care Technician” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
- Direct Care Worker (DCW)
Tasks for “Health Care Technician”
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
Related Technology & Tools
- Traction equipment
- Enema equipment
- Notebook computers
- Hospital beds
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Personal computers
- Blood drawing syringes
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Cold therapy equipment
- Hypodermic syringes
- Safety gloves
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Emergency carts
- Patient restraints
- Tablet computers
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Nasogastric tubes
- Urinary catheters
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Surgical masks
- Oxygen carts
- Desktop computers
- Suction machines
- Heat therapy equipment
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Microsoft Excel
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Microsoft Office
- Cerner ProFile
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record