Will “Mental Health Assistant (MHA)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Mental Health Assistant (MHA)” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
- Direct Care Worker (DCW)
Tasks for “Mental Health Assistant (MHA)”
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
Related Technology & Tools
- Surgical masks
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Cold therapy equipment
- Tablet computers
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Traction equipment
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Nasogastric tubes
- Heat therapy equipment
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Notebook computers
- Enema equipment
- Patient restraints
- Suction machines
- Hospital beds
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Desktop computers
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Oxygen carts
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Hypodermic syringes
- Emergency carts
- Blood drawing syringes
- Personal computers
- Urinary catheters
- Safety gloves
- Hazardous material spill kits
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Microsoft Office
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Microsoft Excel
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Cerner ProFile