Will “Mental Health Specialist” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
4.3% Chance of Automation
“Mental Health Specialist” will not be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #132 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 29-2053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 35,870.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 17.00
- Currently, there are 61,720 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Psychiatric Technicians”.
Also Known As…
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Residential Aide (RA)
- Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Mental Health Worker
- Mental Health Technician (MHT)
- Mental Health Specialist
- Mental Health Associate
- Mental Health Assistant (MHA)
- Licensed Psychiatric Technician (LPT)
- Health Care Technician
- Behavioral Health Technician
- Support Team Member (STM)
- Psychology Associate
- Psychiatric Technician (Psych Tech)
- Patient Care Specialist
- Milieu Therapist
- Direct Care Worker (DCW)
Tasks for “Mental Health Specialist”
- Aid patients in performing tasks, such as bathing or keeping beds, clothing, or living areas clean.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures.
- Observe and influence patients' behavior, communicating and interacting with them and teaching, counseling, or befriending them.
- Administer oral medications or hypodermic injections, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures.
- Issue medications from dispensary and maintain records in accordance with specified procedures.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Collaborate with or assist doctors, psychologists, or rehabilitation therapists in working with mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or developmentally disabled patients to treat, rehabilitate, and return patients to the community.
- Develop or teach strategies to promote client wellness and independence.
- Interview new patients to complete admission forms, to assess their mental health status, or to obtain their mental health and treatment history.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Train or instruct new employees on procedures to follow with psychiatric patients.
- Contact patients' relatives to arrange family conferences.
- Escort patients to medical appointments.
Related Technology & Tools
- Oxygen administration equipment
- Suction machines
- Enema equipment
- Personal computers
- Nasogastric tubes
- Electronic patient thermometers
- Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Hospital beds
- Cold therapy equipment
- Tablet computers
- Desktop computers
- Blood drawing syringes
- Mechanical stethoscopes
- Oxygen carts
- Hypodermic syringes
- Hazardous material spill kits
- Surgical masks
- Heat therapy equipment
- Patient restraints
- Safety gloves
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB devices
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Traction equipment
- Urinary catheters
- Tuberculin TB skin test equipment
- Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators
- Emergency carts
- Notebook computers
- Microsoft Office
- InfoLogix HealthTrax Engine
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Microsoft Excel
- Cerner ProFile