Will “Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator”
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
Related Technology & Tools
- Fuel handling systems
- Water conductivity testers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Radiation survey meters
- Personal computers
- Air sample collection equipment
- Desktop computers
- pH testers
- Portal monitors
- Ventilation systems
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Safety coveralls
- Control rod drives
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Air monitoring equipment
- Safety gloves
- Automatic control systems
- Cooling towers
- Generator control panels
- Air compressors
- Water recirculation pumps
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Water samplers
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Protective shoe covers
- Master-slave manipulators
- Leak detection equipment
- Water softeners
- Portable two way radios
- Area gamma monitors
- Water deionization equipment
- Video borescopes
- Level transmitters
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Air purifying respirators
- Microsoft Office
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software