Will “Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator”
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
Related Technology & Tools
- Pocket dosimeters
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Area gamma monitors
- Air sample collection equipment
- Control rod drives
- Water recirculation pumps
- Leak detection equipment
- Ventilation systems
- Generator control panels
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Portable two way radios
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Air monitoring equipment
- Water samplers
- Master-slave manipulators
- Level transmitters
- Desktop computers
- Water softeners
- Air purifying respirators
- pH testers
- Radiation survey meters
- Water deionization equipment
- Fuel handling systems
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Cooling towers
- Protective shoe covers
- Water conductivity testers
- Video borescopes
- Personal computers
- Portal monitors
- Safety gloves
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Air compressors
- Safety coveralls
- Automatic control systems
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Microsoft Access
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Plant information data entry software