Will “Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator”
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
Related Technology & Tools
- Water deionization equipment
- Air compressors
- Protective shoe covers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Video borescopes
- Area gamma monitors
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Safety gloves
- Water recirculation pumps
- Leak detection equipment
- Control rod drives
- Safety coveralls
- Water samplers
- Generator control panels
- Level transmitters
- Automatic control systems
- Radiation survey meters
- Ventilation systems
- Master-slave manipulators
- Air purifying respirators
- Water conductivity testers
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Water softeners
- Air sample collection equipment
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Cooling towers
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- pH testers
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Portal monitors
- Air monitoring equipment
- Fuel handling systems
- Portable two way radios
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Access
- Plant information data entry software