Will “Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator”
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Cooling towers
- Fuel handling systems
- Leak detection equipment
- Automatic control systems
- Portal monitors
- Air compressors
- Water recirculation pumps
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Pocket dosimeters
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Level transmitters
- Air purifying respirators
- Area gamma monitors
- Master-slave manipulators
- Air monitoring equipment
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Water softeners
- Personal computers
- Protective shoe covers
- Safety coveralls
- Safety gloves
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Ventilation systems
- Water samplers
- Video borescopes
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Generator control panels
- Water deionization equipment
- Control rod drives
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Radiation survey meters
- Air sample collection equipment
- Water conductivity testers
- Portable two way radios
- Desktop computers
- pH testers
- Microsoft Access
- Plant information data entry software
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office