Will “Nuclear Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Operator”
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
Related Technology & Tools
- Master-slave manipulators
- Control rod drives
- Pocket dosimeters
- Fuel handling systems
- Generator control panels
- pH testers
- Video borescopes
- Automatic control systems
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Radiation survey meters
- Safety coveralls
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Ventilation systems
- Water deionization equipment
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Portal monitors
- Safety gloves
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Air compressors
- Water recirculation pumps
- Air purifying respirators
- Personal computers
- Level transmitters
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Leak detection equipment
- Area gamma monitors
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Cooling towers
- Air monitoring equipment
- Air sample collection equipment
- Water softeners
- Portable two way radios
- Protective shoe covers
- Water conductivity testers
- Desktop computers
- Water samplers
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Plant information data entry software
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Office