Will “Nuclear Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Operator”
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Air purifying respirators
- Pocket dosimeters
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Desktop computers
- Protective shoe covers
- Air sample collection equipment
- Portal monitors
- Safety gloves
- Personal computers
- Water softeners
- Fuel handling systems
- Water deionization equipment
- Control rod drives
- Automatic control systems
- Portable two way radios
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Safety coveralls
- Air monitoring equipment
- Radiation survey meters
- Ventilation systems
- Area gamma monitors
- Air compressors
- Master-slave manipulators
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Video borescopes
- Leak detection equipment
- Cooling towers
- Level transmitters
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Water conductivity testers
- Water recirculation pumps
- Water samplers
- pH testers
- Generator control panels
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software