Will “Power Reactor Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Power Reactor Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Power Reactor Operator”
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
Related Technology & Tools
- Air purifying respirators
- Cooling towers
- Master-slave manipulators
- Water softeners
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Pocket dosimeters
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Water recirculation pumps
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Fuel handling systems
- Water conductivity testers
- Water samplers
- Personal computers
- Safety gloves
- Safety coveralls
- pH testers
- Air monitoring equipment
- Generator control panels
- Control rod drives
- Area gamma monitors
- Air sample collection equipment
- Video borescopes
- Portal monitors
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Desktop computers
- Water deionization equipment
- Protective shoe covers
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Ventilation systems
- Portable two way radios
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Level transmitters
- Air compressors
- Automatic control systems
- Leak detection equipment
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Radiation survey meters
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Office