Will “Unit Reactor Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Unit Reactor Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Unit Reactor Operator”
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
Related Technology & Tools
- Fuel handling systems
- Automatic control systems
- Safety coveralls
- Air compressors
- Personal computers
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Master-slave manipulators
- Water recirculation pumps
- Portal monitors
- Generator control panels
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Video borescopes
- Water conductivity testers
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Air sample collection equipment
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Water softeners
- Radiation survey meters
- Desktop computers
- Air purifying respirators
- Water samplers
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Ventilation systems
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Area gamma monitors
- Portable two way radios
- Cooling towers
- Safety gloves
- Air monitoring equipment
- Water deionization equipment
- Level transmitters
- pH testers
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Leak detection equipment
- Protective shoe covers
- Control rod drives
- Pocket dosimeters
- Microsoft Access
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software