Will “Buggy Man” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Buggy Man” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”.
Also Known As…
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Under Ground Miner
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
Tasks for “Buggy Man”
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
Related Technology & Tools
- Cleaning scrapers
- Underground mining loaders
- Rock breaking chisels
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Conveyor belt systems
- Power shovels
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Gathering-arm machines
- Grease dispensing guns
- Claw hammers
- Socket wrench sets
- Mobile radios
- Dust suppression systems
- Ratchet sets
- Work time accounting software
- Microsoft Windows
- Maintenance management software
- Data entry software