Will “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
Also Known As…
- Under Ground Miner
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
- Buggy Man
Tasks for “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
Related Technology & Tools
- Power shovels
- Gathering-arm machines
- Ratchet sets
- Claw hammers
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Dust suppression systems
- Underground mining loaders
- Rock breaking chisels
- Mobile radios
- Conveyor belt systems
- Socket wrench sets
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Grease dispensing guns
- Cleaning scrapers
- Data entry software
- Work time accounting software
- Microsoft Windows
- Maintenance management software