Will “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
Also Known As…
- Under Ground Miner
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
- Buggy Man
Tasks for “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
Related Technology & Tools
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Mobile radios
- Claw hammers
- Grease dispensing guns
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Dust suppression systems
- Rock breaking chisels
- Conveyor belt systems
- Ratchet sets
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Power shovels
- Gathering-arm machines
- Underground mining loaders
- Socket wrench sets
- Cleaning scrapers
- Microsoft Windows
- Data entry software
- Maintenance management software
- Work time accounting software