Will “Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”.
Also Known As…
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Under Ground Miner
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
- Buggy Man
Tasks for “Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)”
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
Related Technology & Tools
- Underground mining loaders
- Conveyor belt systems
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Socket wrench sets
- Dust suppression systems
- Cleaning scrapers
- Power shovels
- Claw hammers
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Grease dispensing guns
- Ratchet sets
- Mobile radios
- Gathering-arm machines
- Rock breaking chisels
- Microsoft Windows
- Work time accounting software
- Maintenance management software
- Data entry software