Will “Shuttle Car Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Shuttle Car Operator” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”.
Also Known As…
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Under Ground Miner
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
- Buggy Man
Tasks for “Shuttle Car Operator”
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
Related Technology & Tools
- Socket wrench sets
- Cleaning scrapers
- Conveyor belt systems
- Gathering-arm machines
- Mobile radios
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Dust suppression systems
- Grease dispensing guns
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Rock breaking chisels
- Claw hammers
- Ratchet sets
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Underground mining loaders
- Power shovels
- Microsoft Windows
- Work time accounting software
- Data entry software
- Maintenance management software