Will “Under Ground Miner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
50% Chance of Automation
“Under Ground Miner” will maybe be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #299 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate underground loading machine to load coal, ore, or rock into shuttle or mine car or onto conveyors. Loading equipment may include power shovels, hoisting engines equipped with cable-drawn scraper or scoop, or machines equipped with gathering arms and conveyor.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 53-7033.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 51,260.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 24.00
- Currently, there are 2,550 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining”.
Also Known As…
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Shuttle Car Operator
- Production Miner
- Muck Hauler
- Miner Operator
- Loading Machine Operator
- Loader Operator
- Load Haul Dump Operator (LHD Operator)
- Under Ground Miner
- Mucking Machine Operator
- Mucker Operator
- Muck Operator
- Mechanical Shovel Operator
- Machine Loader
- Joy Operator
- Joy Loading Machine Operator
- Joy Loader
- Front End Loader Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Continuous Miner Operator
- Coke Loader
- Buggy Man
Tasks for “Under Ground Miner”
- Drive machines into piles of material blasted from working faces.
- Clean hoppers, and clean spillage from tracks, walks, driveways, and conveyor decking.
- Replace hydraulic hoses, headlight bulbs, and gathering-arm teeth.
- Oil, lubricate, and adjust conveyors, crushers, and other equipment, using hand tools and lubricating equipment.
- Advance machines to gather material and convey it into cars.
- Estimate and record amounts of material in bins.
- Notify switching departments to deliver specific types of cars.
- Signal workers to move loaded cars.
- Pry off loose material from roofs and move it into the paths of machines, using crowbars.
- Inspect boarding and locking of open-top box cars and wedging of side-drop and hopper cars to prevent loss of material in transit.
- Operate levers to move conveyor booms or shovels so that mine contents such as coal, rock, and ore can be placed into cars or onto conveyors.
- Stop gathering arms when cars are full.
- Move trailing electrical cables clear of obstructions, using rubber safety gloves.
- Start conveyor booms and gathering-arm motors, and operate winches to position cars under boom conveyors for loading.
- Observe and record car numbers, carriers, customers, tonnages, and grades and conditions of material.
Related Technology & Tools
- Underground mining loaders
- Cable drawn scrapers
- Cleaning scrapers
- Conveyor belt systems
- Multipurpose screwdrivers
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Ratchet sets
- Rock breaking chisels
- Mobile radios
- Socket wrench sets
- Grease dispensing guns
- Power shovels
- Claw hammers
- Gathering-arm machines
- Dust suppression systems
- Maintenance management software
- Microsoft Windows
- Work time accounting software
- Data entry software