Will “Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)”
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Train new workers.
- Open and label mail containers.
Related Technology & Tools
- Voice recognition equipment
- Conveyor belts
- Point of sale workstations
- Optical character readers
- Warehouse forklifts
- General purpose mail containers
- Copy machines
- Barcode sorters
- Computer data input scanners
- Mail processing machines
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Mail scales
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Electric material moving tractors
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Laser facsimile machines
- Hand-pushed carts
- Personal computers
- Delivery point packagers
- Barcode scanners
- Packaging machines
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Compact assignment machines
- Mail canceling machines
- Postage marking machines
- Mail sorting machines
- Mail trucks
- Barcode reader software
- NCR Advanced Store
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Directory software
- Address Management System AMS