Will “Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)”
- Open and label mail containers.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Train new workers.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
Related Technology & Tools
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Packaging machines
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Mail sorting machines
- Copy machines
- Mail processing machines
- Point of sale workstations
- Computer data input scanners
- Barcode scanners
- General purpose mail containers
- Postage marking machines
- Barcode sorters
- Warehouse forklifts
- Hand-pushed carts
- Conveyor belts
- Personal computers
- Mail trucks
- Compact assignment machines
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Mail scales
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Electric material moving tractors
- Optical character readers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Voice recognition equipment
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Mail canceling machines
- Delivery point packagers
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Directory software
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Barcode reader software
- Address Management System AMS
- Delivery Routing System DRS