Will “Mail Handler Equipment Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Mail Handler Equipment Operator” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Mail Handler Equipment Operator”
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Train new workers.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
Related Technology & Tools
- Compact assignment machines
- Mail scales
- Barcode sorters
- Mail trucks
- Conveyor belts
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Computer data input scanners
- Voice recognition equipment
- Electric material moving tractors
- General purpose mail containers
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Barcode scanners
- Copy machines
- Point of sale workstations
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Mail processing machines
- Delivery point packagers
- Mail sorting machines
- Postage marking machines
- Hand-pushed carts
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Mail canceling machines
- Packaging machines
- Personal computers
- Warehouse forklifts
- Optical character readers
- Barcode reader software
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- Directory software
- Address Management System AMS
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software