Will “Post Office Markup Clerk” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Post Office Markup Clerk” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Post Office Markup Clerk”
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Train new workers.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mail canceling machines
- Optical character readers
- Mail sorting machines
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Conveyor belts
- Voice recognition equipment
- Electric material moving tractors
- Mail trucks
- Barcode scanners
- Copy machines
- Compact assignment machines
- Postage marking machines
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Delivery point packagers
- Point of sale workstations
- General purpose mail containers
- Personal computers
- Mail processing machines
- Laser facsimile machines
- Computer data input scanners
- Packaging machines
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Warehouse forklifts
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Mail scales
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Barcode sorters
- Hand-pushed carts
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Barcode reader software
- Directory software
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Address Management System AMS