Will “Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)”
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Train new workers.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
Related Technology & Tools
- Barcode sorters
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Warehouse forklifts
- Packaging machines
- Mail scales
- Mail canceling machines
- Barcode scanners
- Copy machines
- Hand-pushed carts
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Personal computers
- Point of sale workstations
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Mail processing machines
- Mail trucks
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Computer data input scanners
- Laser facsimile machines
- Electric material moving tractors
- General purpose mail containers
- Delivery point packagers
- Compact assignment machines
- Optical character readers
- Conveyor belts
- Postage marking machines
- Voice recognition equipment
- Mail sorting machines
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Directory software
- Barcode reader software
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Address Management System AMS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS