Will “Mail Examiner” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Mail Examiner” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mailing Section Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Mail Examiner”
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Train new workers.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
Related Technology & Tools
- Mail processing machines
- Computer data input scanners
- General purpose mail containers
- Mail sorting machines
- Personal computers
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Laser facsimile machines
- Delivery point packagers
- Mail trucks
- Mail scales
- Conveyor belts
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Postage marking machines
- Barcode sorters
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- Mail canceling machines
- Hand-pushed carts
- Copy machines
- Barcode scanners
- Compact assignment machines
- Warehouse forklifts
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Packaging machines
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Voice recognition equipment
- Point of sale workstations
- Optical character readers
- Electric material moving tractors
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Barcode reader software
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- NCR Advanced Store
- Directory software
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Address Management System AMS