Will “Mailing Section Clerk” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
79% Chance of Automation
“Mailing Section Clerk” will probably be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #430 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 43-5053.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 49,710.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 23.00
- Currently, there are 110,770 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Processors, and Processing Machine Operators
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Parcel Post Distribution Machine Operator (PDPMO)
- Mail Processor
- Mail Processing Clerk
- Mail Handler Equipment Operator
- Mail Handler
- Flat Sorting Machine Clerk (FSM Clerk)
- Distribution Clerk
- Computer Forwarding System Markup Clerk (CFS Markup Clerk)
- Automation Clerk
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Operations Label Clerk
- Mail Weigher
- Mail Sorter
- Mail Opener
- Mail Handler Sorter
- Mail Forwarding System Markup Clerk
- Mail Examiner
- Mail Distributor
- Mail Distribution Scheme Examiner
- Mail Distribution Clerk
- Letter Sorting Machine Operator (LSM Operator)
- General Expeditor
- Flat Sorter Processor
- File Conversion Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Dead Mail Checker
Tasks for “Mailing Section Clerk”
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated "trains".
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Direct items according to established routing schemes, using computer-controlled keyboards or voice-recognition equipment.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Clear jams in sorting equipment.
- Train new workers.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Operate various types of equipment, such as computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, optical character readers, and bar-code sorters.
- Distribute incoming mail into the correct boxes or pigeonholes.
Related Technology & Tools
- Copy machines
- Point of sale workstations
- Mail scales
- Mail trucks
- Postal automated redirection systems
- Laser facsimile machines
- Conveyor sorting systems
- Delivery point packagers
- Packaging machines
- Mail sorting machines
- Optical character readers
- Postage marking machines
- Multi-position letter sorting machines
- General purpose mail containers
- Warehouse forklifts
- Hand-pushed carts
- Conveyor belts
- Computer data input scanners
- Barcode scanners
- Automatic pallet unloaders
- Compact assignment machines
- Automatic airline assignment systems
- Barcode sorters
- Electric material moving tractors
- Mail canceling machines
- Voice recognition equipment
- Personal computers
- Mail processing machines
- Small parcel bundle sorter machines
- Electronic Time Clock ETC
- Time and Attendance Collection System TACS
- Directory software
- NCR Advanced Store
- Delivery Routing System DRS
- Delivery Operations Information System DOIS
- Multi-line optical character reader OCR software
- Barcode reader software
- Automated Package Processing System APPS
- Address Management System AMS