Will “Licensed Reactor Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Licensed Reactor Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Licensed Reactor Operator”
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
Related Technology & Tools
- Portable two way radios
- Desktop computers
- pH testers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Leak detection equipment
- Protective shoe covers
- Portal monitors
- Air compressors
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Radiation survey meters
- Fuel handling systems
- Water softeners
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Control rod drives
- Air sample collection equipment
- Area gamma monitors
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Safety gloves
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Video borescopes
- Water samplers
- Water deionization equipment
- Personal computers
- Ventilation systems
- Air monitoring equipment
- Master-slave manipulators
- Automatic control systems
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Cooling towers
- Air purifying respirators
- Safety coveralls
- Water recirculation pumps
- Water conductivity testers
- Level transmitters
- Generator control panels
- Data logging software
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Office