Will “Nuclear Control Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Control Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Control Operator”
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
Related Technology & Tools
- Generator control panels
- Air sample collection equipment
- Portal monitors
- Leak detection equipment
- Safety coveralls
- Video borescopes
- Air purifying respirators
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Protective shoe covers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Fuel handling systems
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Control rod drives
- Safety gloves
- Desktop computers
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Water recirculation pumps
- Master-slave manipulators
- pH testers
- Cooling towers
- Radiation survey meters
- Water deionization equipment
- Automatic control systems
- Area gamma monitors
- Personal computers
- Water softeners
- Air compressors
- Water samplers
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Level transmitters
- Air monitoring equipment
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Water conductivity testers
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Portable two way radios
- Ventilation systems
- Microsoft Access
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- Plant information data entry software