Will “Nuclear Control Room Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Control Room Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Control Room Operator”
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
Related Technology & Tools
- Water conductivity testers
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Master-slave manipulators
- Portal monitors
- Level transmitters
- Area gamma monitors
- Water samplers
- Portable two way radios
- Air compressors
- Water recirculation pumps
- Radiation survey meters
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Air sample collection equipment
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Safety coveralls
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Protective shoe covers
- Cooling towers
- Air purifying respirators
- Water softeners
- Video borescopes
- Generator control panels
- Automatic control systems
- Fuel handling systems
- Safety gloves
- Water deionization equipment
- Ventilation systems
- Desktop computers
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Leak detection equipment
- Air monitoring equipment
- pH testers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Personal computers
- Control rod drives
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Access