Will “Nuclear Control Room Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Control Room Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Control Room Operator”
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
Related Technology & Tools
- Desktop computers
- Control rod drives
- Water samplers
- Air sample collection equipment
- Area gamma monitors
- Cooling towers
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Pocket dosimeters
- Safety coveralls
- Portal monitors
- Water conductivity testers
- Radiation survey meters
- Personal computers
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Safety gloves
- Water softeners
- pH testers
- Air compressors
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Automatic control systems
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Portable two way radios
- Level transmitters
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Air monitoring equipment
- Water deionization equipment
- Fuel handling systems
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Video borescopes
- Protective shoe covers
- Master-slave manipulators
- Water recirculation pumps
- Ventilation systems
- Air purifying respirators
- Leak detection equipment
- Generator control panels
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Plant information data entry software
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Office