Will “Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)”
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
Related Technology & Tools
- Area gamma monitors
- Protective shoe covers
- Safety coveralls
- Water conductivity testers
- Air compressors
- Water recirculation pumps
- Water softeners
- Portable two way radios
- Fuel handling systems
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Leak detection equipment
- Pocket dosimeters
- Master-slave manipulators
- Portal monitors
- Water deionization equipment
- Level transmitters
- Air purifying respirators
- Air sample collection equipment
- Generator control panels
- Desktop computers
- Safety gloves
- Ventilation systems
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Cooling towers
- Personal computers
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Automatic control systems
- Water samplers
- Video borescopes
- Radiation survey meters
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- pH testers
- Control rod drives
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Air monitoring equipment
- Microsoft Excel
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Office
- Data logging software