Will “Nuclear Reactor Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Reactor Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702, where higher means less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Reactor Operator”
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
Related Technology & Tools
- pH testers
- Master-slave manipulators
- Air monitoring equipment
- Desktop computers
- Cooling towers
- Area gamma monitors
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Protective shoe covers
- Safety coveralls
- Air purifying respirators
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Control rod drives
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Safety gloves
- Water deionization equipment
- Air compressors
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Water recirculation pumps
- Water samplers
- Radiation survey meters
- Fuel handling systems
- Automatic control systems
- Personal computers
- Pocket dosimeters
- Level transmitters
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Portable two way radios
- Water conductivity testers
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Portal monitors
- Air sample collection equipment
- Leak detection equipment
- Video borescopes
- Ventilation systems
- Water softeners
- Generator control panels
- Microsoft Office
- Data logging software
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Excel