Will “Nuclear Reactor Operator” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Reactor Operator” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Reactor Operator”
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
Related Technology & Tools
- Water deionization equipment
- Automatic control systems
- pH testers
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Cooling towers
- Air monitoring equipment
- Water recirculation pumps
- Air purifying respirators
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Leak detection equipment
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Water samplers
- Radiation survey meters
- Level transmitters
- Control rod drives
- Water softeners
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Portable two way radios
- Portal monitors
- Safety coveralls
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Master-slave manipulators
- Protective shoe covers
- Water conductivity testers
- Video borescopes
- Area gamma monitors
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Generator control panels
- Fuel handling systems
- Personal computers
- Ventilation systems
- Safety gloves
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Air compressors
- Desktop computers
- Air sample collection equipment
- Pocket dosimeters
- Data logging software
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Excel