Will “Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
95% Chance of Automation
“Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)” will almost certainly be replaced by robots.
This job is ranked #614 out of #702. A higher ranking (i.e., a lower number) means the job is less likely to be replaced.
Operate or control nuclear reactors. Move control rods, start and stop equipment, monitor and adjust controls, and record data in logs. Implement emergency procedures when needed. May respond to abnormalities, determine cause, and recommend corrective action.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 51-8011.00
- The Mean Annual Wage in the U.S. is $ 91,370.00
- The Mean Hourly Wage is $ 43.00
- Currently, there are 7,170 people on this job
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Nuclear Power Reactor Operators”.
Also Known As…
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Reactor Operator (RO)
- Nuclear Unit Operator
- Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Station Operator (NSO)
- Nuclear Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Plant Operator (NPO)
- Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Nuclear Control Operator
- Licensed Reactor Operator
- Unit Reactor Operator
- Senior Reactor Operator
- Power Reactor Operator
- Nuclear Power Plant Process Control Worker
- Nuclear Operator
- Nuclear Control Room Non-Licensed Operator
- Licensed Nuclear Control Room Operator
- Equipment Operator
- Control Room Supervisor
- Control Room Operator
- Control Room Agent
Tasks for “Nuclear Supervising Operator (NSO)”
- Supervise technicians' work activities to ensure that equipment is operated in accordance with policies and procedures that protect workers from radiation and ensure environmental safety.
- Dispatch orders or instructions to personnel through radiotelephone or intercommunication systems to coordinate auxiliary equipment operation.
- Record operating data, such as the results of surveillance tests.
- Direct reactor operators in emergency situations, in accordance with emergency operating procedures.
- Identify or direct implementation of appropriate decontamination procedures, based on equipment and the size, nature, and type of contamination.
- Develop or implement actions such as lockouts, tagouts, or clearances to allow equipment to be safely repaired.
- Authorize maintenance activities on units or changes in equipment or system operational status.
- Participate in nuclear fuel element handling activities, such as preparation, transfer, loading, or unloading.
- Monitor or operate boilers, turbines, wells, or auxiliary power plant equipment.
- Direct the collection and testing of air, water, gas, or solid samples to determine radioactivity levels or to ensure appropriate radioactive containment.
- Respond to system or unit abnormalities, diagnosing the cause, and recommending or taking corrective action.
- Monitor all systems for normal running conditions, performing activities such as checking gauges to assess output or the effects of generator loading on other equipment.
- Adjust controls to position rod and to regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, or rate of power flow, following standard procedures.
- Note malfunctions of equipment, instruments, or controls and report these conditions to supervisors.
- Authorize actions to correct identified operational inefficiencies or hazards so that operating efficiency is maximized and potential environmental issues are minimized.
- Conduct inspections or operations outside of control rooms as necessary.
- Implement operational procedures, such as those controlling start-up or shut-down activities.
- Review and edit standard operating procedures.
- Operate nuclear power reactors in accordance with policies and procedures to protect workers from radiation and to ensure environmental safety.
- Direct measurement of the intensity or types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials.
Related Technology & Tools
- Water samplers
- Water conductivity testers
- Automatic control systems
- Seismic monitoring instruments
- Safety coveralls
- Water softeners
- Air sample collection equipment
- Water recirculation pumps
- Spent fuel handling machines
- Air compressors
- Control rod drives
- Pipe camera inspection systems
- Level transmitters
- Personal computers
- Portable two way radios
- Nuclear reactor control rod operation systems
- Desktop computers
- Video borescopes
- Pocket dosimeters
- Protective shoe covers
- Radiation monitoring instruments
- Water deionization equipment
- Master-slave manipulators
- Fuel handling systems
- Ventilation systems
- Nuclear plant hazard alarm systems
- Area gamma monitors
- Power plant turbine control panels
- Safety gloves
- Leak detection equipment
- Cooling towers
- Radiation survey meters
- Generator control panels
- Portal monitors
- Air purifying respirators
- pH testers
- Air monitoring equipment
- Microsoft Access
- Plant information data entry software
- Microsoft Office
- Data logging software
- Microsoft Excel