Will “Transportation Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Engineer”
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
Related Technology & Tools
- Photocopying equipment
- Digital cameras
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Laptop computers
- Desktop computers
- Personal computers
- Mobile radios
- Laser facsimile machines
- Computer laser printers
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Microsoft Excel
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Bentley MicroStation
- Microsoft Office
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- McTrans HCS+
- Structured query language SQL
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- Microsoft Project
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- Web browser software
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Citilabs Cube
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Microsoft Word
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Trafficware SimTraffic