Will “Transportation Engineer” be Replaced By Robots? 🤔
Unknown Chance of Automation
Sadly, the research paper did not provide any information about this occupation. Maybe have a look at our directory?
Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy. Prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for transportation facilities. Plan modifications of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
- The SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) code is 17-2051.01
☝️ Information based on the reference occupation “Transportation Engineers”.
Also Known As…
- Transportation Engineers
- Traffic Operations Engineer
- Project Manager
- Transportation Planning Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Transportation Design Engineer
- Transportation Consultant
- Transportation Analyst
- Traffic Engineer
- Roadway Engineer
- Highway Engineer
- Civil Transportation Engineer
- Airport Engineer
Tasks for “Transportation Engineer”
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Estimate transportation project costs.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
- Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Design transportation systems or structures, using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bioretention structures.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
- Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
- Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
- Participate in contract bidding, negotiation, or administration.
- Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
- Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
- Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
Related Technology & Tools
- Laser facsimile machines
- Multi-line telephone systems
- Desktop computers
- Mobile radios
- Computer laser printers
- Personal computers
- Photocopying equipment
- Laptop computers
- Digital cameras
- Autodesk Land Desktop
- Web browser software
- McTrans TRANSYT-7F
- Microsoft Project
- Trafficware SimTraffic
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Structured query language SQL
- McTrans TSIS-CORSIM
- SIDRA INTERSECTION
- Microsoft Excel
- Visual Solutions VisSIM
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Computer aided design and drafting software CADD
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Trafficware SynchroGreen
- McTrans HCS+
- Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
- Bentley MicroStation
- Citilabs Cube
- Bentley InRoads Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Word